Thursday, April 22, 2010
Self-Assessment / Auto-Avaliação
I’ve been thinking a lot about motherhood and what it means to me and how it has changed my life.
Before I became a mother, I would observe parent/child relationships and would make a mental note of what I thought would work and would not work for me. I started forming this idea of what my relationship with my child would be, and started to fill my mental toolbox with possible tools.
Then, I became a mother… Reality hits home!
I still think that I learned a lot from observing others, but it was not until I was in similar situation that I had to search in my mental tool box, for the right tool to deal with that situation. Sometimes I am successful, sometimes I am not, and then I need to search for another tactic, until maybe I have the situation under control.
Being a mom is fun, wonderful, amazing, rewarding but definitely challenging. I am busy, tired and constantly questioning myself. Is this right? Is this the best for my child? How do I control meltdowns? Why won’t she eat? Sleep? Potty train? Is this the best approach?
And then when you think you have lost this battle, that little person comes to you and gives you a big smile, hug and a kiss. And all is well again.
Children are so forgiving…
Tenho pensado muito no que é ser mãe e como isto mudou a minha vida.
Antes de me tornar mãe eu observava relacionamentos de mãe e filhos e fazia uma nota mental do que eu achava que iria funcionar ou não funcionar pra mim. Eu comecei a criar esta idéia do que o meu relacionamento seria com a minha filha, e comecei a encher esta caixa de ferramentas mental com possíveis ferramentas pra eu usar no futuro.
Daí eu me tornei mãe… E a realidade me acertou em cheio!
Eu ainda acho que aprendi muito por ter observado outros, mas somente quando me encontro em situações similares, é que tenho que procurar pela ferramenta certa pra lidar com aquela situação. As vezes sou bem sucedida, as vezes fracasso. Daí tenho que continuar tentando com outras táticas até achar a maneira certa pra colocar a situação sob controle.
Ser mãe é divertido, maravilhoso, gratificante, mas definitivamente desafiante. Eu estou cansada, ocupada e constantement me questionando. Isto está certo? Isto é o melhor pra minha filha? Como eu controlo esta crise de choro? Porque ela não quer comer? Dormer? Deixar as fraldas? Esta é a melhor maneira?
E daí quando eu acho que perdi esta batalha, esta pessoazinha vem em minha direção, sorri, me abraça e beija. E tudo está bem outra vez.
Crianças são tão indulgentes…
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
You are a WONDERFUL mother...with a wonderful daughter. And you are right - we learn a lot from other mothers - but it's the learning to figure it out on our feet that is the kicker!
I think you need your book (I was a good mom before I had kids) back!!! Angelica
Post a Comment